As of June 2019, according to data from the U.S. Census Bureau, 110.6 million Americans ages 18 and up (or 45.2%) are single. BRAVO, YOU REBELS!
Kidding -- nowadays, it's normal to be solo. We are into it.
There can be so much pressure to follow the herd and take the 'normal' steps that are basically mapped our for us at birth: go to school, get a job, find a spouse & get married, have kids, pay taxes, bite the dust. It's just reality. And as a result, it can make a single chap feel like crap. F that noise!
If you need a reminder (or a kick in the pants), here are our favorite reasons for being single.
1. No one to answer to. No work distractions. No frustration from an unresolved fight. No one to impress/shave your pubes for. No arguing over what to binge on Netflix. Ah, sweet, sweet relief.
2. Based on the statistic above, more people are single now than ever! Which means the dating pool is ripe. AFTER YOU DO ALL OF THE THINGS FOR YOURSELF, OF COURSE.
3. You can splurge on travel plans. A solo vacation where you aren't bound to anyone else's schedule (no waiting for your lady to do the hair and makeup thing) -- pick up and go as you please. Leave work on the runway (or the road). Places and experiences are best enjoyed with eyes wide open, from your own lens. Check out this list for the best travel spots for singles.
4. More time to cultivate stronger friendships, hobbies, and extracurricular activities. If you're recently out of a relationship, get out the damn house! Join a pickup basketball league. Enlist for a marathon. Double your pleasure and do the thing that your last partner hated. (Running? Hiking? Whatever the activity, it will feel even sweeter.)
5. Eating whatever the F you want for dinner every night of the week. No allergy restrictions, no deciding what restaurant to go for 2 hours (and ending up at the same place you always go), no elaborate meal planning...you get the idea.
6. The longer you're single, the longer you have to determine every. little. thing. you really want in a partner. And - you've got the luxury to kick back, watch, and learn from your friends who are navigating f*cked up (or f*cking awesome) relationships. #RelationshipGoals #OrNot
7. Have more sex. It's true- single folks have more sex than married people. (Are you really surprised)? Make sure to be UP FRONT about what you are --or aren't-- looking for *before* knocking the boots.
8. Explore the vast world of pleasure products. By doing so, you can take your orgasms to the next level. Practice stamina training to help you last longer. Finding things that make your body feel awesome builds confidence during sex...and that will ultimately make you a better communicator (if and when) you partner up.
9. Your ca$h money is yours, and yours alone! Blow it on beer. Concert tickets. A masturbation toy. Or just sock it away and save it! Most importantly, relish in the fact that not a dime you earn has to be spent on diapers! (Possibly?)
10. More health and happiness. Here's why: getting better sleep means more energy, which results in better eating habits. More time for the gym, which means more endorphins (the natural 'happy' drug). Which means a more positive sense of well-being.
Who benefits when *your* life kicks ass and you're happy, instead of being a stressed out @sshole? (Not all relationships have that effect on people, for the record.)
Answer: everyone. Happiness is infectious. Go forth. Be single. Embrace living life on your own terms. Empower other people to feel the same. Create a ripple effect with your freedom.
Change the damn world, one slap-happy single fella at a time.